Bone Suckin’® Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- Prep Time: 50 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 50 mins
- Yield: 6
- Category: Soup
- Bone Suckin’ Chicken Rub, 2 Tbsp.
- Dried Mushrooms, 1 oz. (porcini, morels, or shiitakes)
- Olive Oil, 1/2 cup
- Onion, 1 yellow, peeled and thinly sliced
- Garlic, 3 tsp., minced
- Sea Salt, 1 1/2 tsp.
- Ground White Pepper, 1/4 tsp.
- White Button Mushrooms, 1 lb., cleaned, stemmed and thinly sliced
- Shiitake Mushrooms, 1 lb., cleaned, stemmed and thinly sliced
- Tomato paste, 2 Tbsp.
- Red Wine,1/2 cup
- Chicken Stock, 6 cups*
- Heavy Cream, 1 cup
- Butter, 2 Tbsp.
- Soak the dried mushrooms in 1 cup of warm water for 20 to 30 minutes, until they are plump.
- Strain the soaking liquid through a coffee filter in a strainer to remove grit. Keep the reserve and reconstituted mushrooms until needed.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add Bone Suckin’ Chicken Rub, onion, garlic, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent, but not brown.
- Turn the heat to high and add the white mushrooms, shiitakes, tomato paste and wine. Cook for 10 minutes during which time the mushrooms will give off their liquid and deflate. (This liquid should evaporate quickly because of the high heat.) Stir occasionally.
- Add the chicken stock, dried mushrooms, and mushroom reserve. Simmer for 30 minutes. Turn the heat off for about 15 minutes and let soup cool down. Add cream and butter and stir well.
- Working in batches, puree the soup until smooth in a food processor or blender. Return the soup to the pot and simmer on a low heat, until ready to serve. Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream or crème fraiche. Recipe serves 6.
*To prepare vegetarian, substitute vegetable stock for chicken stock.