Bone Suckin’® Dirty Hoppin’ John Risotto Recipe
This Risotto is a popular southern recipe!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 30 mins
- Yield: 6
- Category: Entree
- Bone Suckin’® Seasoning and Rub, 2 Tbsp.
- Bone Suckin’® Hiccuppin’ Hot® Habanero Sauce, 1 tsp.
- Chicken Livers, 1 (16 oz. container), fresh or frozen
- Peanut Oil, 1/4 cup
- Butter, 1 1/2 sticks, cut into Tbsp. pieces
- Yellow Onions, 8 medium, chopped
- Flour, 2 cups, All Purpose
- Sea Salt, 1 1/4 tsp.
- Black-eyed Peas, 1 (16 oz. bag), frozen
- Red Onion, 1, finely chopped
- Celery, 1/4 cup, finely chopped
- Garlic, 1 Tbsp., minced
- Arborio Rice, 2 1/2 cups
- White Wine, 1/2 cup
- Chicken Stock, 8 cups
- Lemon Juice, 1/4 cup, fresh
- Black Pepper, 1 tsp.
- Parsley, 3 Tbsp.
- In a re-sealable bag, mix flour and Bone Suckin’® Seasoning. Place the livers in a bag and shake to coat. Put the oil in a frying pan and heat to medium. Place the livers in the pan and cook about 8 minutes, turning livers until thoroughly cooked. Let livers cool and then chop them coarsely; set aside.
- In a skillet, put in 2 Tbsp. of butter and bring to a medium heat. Add yellow onions and sea salt. Cook onions slowly, until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup of caramelized onions in a bowl; set aside.
- While onions are caramelizing, simmer black-eyed peas in 2 cups of water in a 2 qt. sauce pan until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain peas in a colander.
- Cook red onions and celery in 2 Tbsp. of butter in a 5-6 qt. pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add rice and stir for 1 minute. Stir in wine and cook 2 minutes. Add caramelized onions, chopped livers, black-eyed peas, Bone Suckin’® Hiccuppin’ Hot® Habanero Sauce and 4 cups of chicken stock. Briskly simmer, uncovered, over moderate heat for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed and risotto is creamy. Add remaining 4 cups of chicken stock and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes. Add remaining 8 Tbsp. of butter and lemon juice and stir until butter is incorporated.
- After cooking food, divide risotto among 8 shallow bowls and sprinkle with remaining onions and parsley. Serve with salad and bread. Recipe serves 6. Enjoy!